Ossiculoplasty in Iran
The ossicles, or the ossicular chain, play a key role in the hearing process due to their part of transferring the sound waves to the hearing nerve. But for some reasons, these little bones can stop doing their job causing a conductive hearing loss. This condition can be usually treated with a surgical procedure called ossiculoplasty or ossicular reconstruction surgery.
Due to the high ossiculoplasty cost in some countries or the long waiting list, some patients choose to have surgery abroad. If this is the case for you, then you should consider having ossicular chain reconstruction in Iran with Dr. Saeedi, the renowned ENT surgeon and otolaryngologist in Tehran. Please keep reading to learn more about the surgery and know about the advantages of undergoing Ossiculoplasty in Iran with Dr. Saeedi.
What is Ossiculoplasty?
Ossicular chain reconstruction is a surgical treatment performed to improve hearing for patients who suffer from a hearing loss caused by the fixation of the ossicles or other damages to the auditory bones. This includes the cases of ossicular chain disruption.
There are many different classifications of ossiculoplasty, each of which is different from the other. But in general, the condition is classified depending on the status of the ossicles.
For example, Austin classified ossiculoplasty ear surgery depending on the presence of the malleus and the incus.
Who is a good candidate for ossicular chain reconstruction?
Ossiculoplasty is a procedure that is meant for hearing restoration caused by the conductive hearing loss. Conductive hearing loss can be caused by the fixation of the ossicles because of otosclerosis for example, by surgical manipulation, by cholesteatoma or by other factors.
Ossiculoplasty prosthesis types
There are many types of the artificial prosthesis for ossicular chain reconstruction. These replacement prostheses can be made from various materials like ceramics, titanium, plastic, Teflon, etc. Those prostheses are made from biocompatible and MRI safe materials.
Each one of these prostheses has its unique features, so the surgeon must choose the right prosthesis for the patient depending on the patient’s condition.
How is Ossiculoplasty performed?
Ossicular chain reconstruction is an outpatient surgery performed under local anesthesia. During the surgery, the surgeon will perform the surgery either through the ear canal or by making an incision behind the patient’s ear. Afterward, the surgeon will make an incision around the tympanic membrane to access the ossicles.
After accessing the ossicles, the surgeon will either remove the damaged bone(s) and replace it (them) with a prosthesis or reconstruct it (them) using a synthetic material. During the surgery, the surgeon might remove one, two, or even the three bones depending on the level of the damage in the middle ear.
Sometimes, the surgeon will put the patient under general anesthesia instead of local. The surgery usually takes from 1 to 3 hours depending on the condition of the patient.
Ossicular reconstruction and tympanoplasty
Ossicular reconstruction and tympanoplasty are performed together when both the tympanic membrane and the ossicles are damaged and when the ossicles are separated from the eardrum. The surgeon then will fix the discontinuity and repair the tympanic membrane to help restore hearing. This surgery is called tympano ossiculoplasty.
How to prepare for ossicular chain reconstruction surgery?
Ossicular chain reconstruction does not usually require a lot of preparation. However, you are recommended to quit smoking and stop taking any blood thinners (unless the surgeon asked you to) couple of weeks before the surgery.
You should stop eating and drinking at least 6 hours before the surgery. If you get sick the day before the surgery or on the day of the surgery, call the doctor and ask him/her if you should delay the surgery or not.
During endoscopic ossiculoplasty, the surgeon will access the middle ear through the ear canal using an endoscope instead of making an incision behind the patient’s ear. Endoscopic ossiculoplasty causes less pain and requires less recovery time.
Ossiculoplasty recovery and post-op after care
You should be able to go home on the same day of the surgery, but you will have to wait until you fully recover from the anesthesia. The doctor will give you some instructions to follow after the surgery, including:
- Make sure your ear stays dry: it is very important to keep your ear dry after ossiculoplasty surgery, meaning that no water or moisture should enter your ear. You have to wait for 2 days before having a shower and put a cotton coated with Vaseline in your ear while showering.
- Avoid popping your ear and blowing your nose: doing such things can put a lot of pressure on the prosthesis, and this can dislocate it and perforate the eardrum.
- Avoid flying, and high places: flying and high places should be avoided for 4 to 6 weeks after the surgery. You should also open your mouth while sneezing.
- Avoid heavy workout: try to avoid heavy exercises and lifting any heavy objects for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Going to work: most patients can return to their jobs after one week, but if the job requires hard physical activity then you should consult with your doctor first.
- Diet: there are no restrictions on the diet after ossicular chain reconstruction, but it is better to start with soft foods at first to avoid any nausea or vomiting.
Why should you undergo ossiculoplasty in Iran with Dr. Saeedi?
Iran is considered one of the best places to have medical treatments. Iranian hospitals and clinics are equipped with the latest medical technology and devices to provide the best treatment to their patients.
Doctors and surgeons in Iran are among the best in the world. They studied in some of the best medical schools; they are well trained and have tons of experience.
Dr. Masoomeh Saeedi is one of the most distinguished ENT surgeons in Tehran and across Iran. She has obtained her fellowship in ENT and otolaryngology for more than 12 years, and has undergone many specialized courses in developed countries such as Germany, France, Portugal, South Korea, Malaysia and others.
In addition to performing more than 5,000 successful surgeries – including ossiculoplasty – during this period, she is a university associate professor at Baqiyatallah University of Medical Sciences in Tehran.
You can contact us now to get a free online consultation on ossiculoplasty in Iran with Dr. Saeedi.
The cost of ossiculoplasty in Iran with Dr. Saeedi
Ossicular chain reconstruction surgery can be very expensive. In the United States of America, it can cost you about $5,000. The price is even higher in the United Kingdom as it can cost you $6,500. In Iran, you can have an ossicular chain reconstruction surgery for about quarter that price. Please contact us to get a free quote about ossiculoplasty in Iran with Dr. Saeedi.
The risks and side effects of ossicular chain reconstruction
Even though ossiculoplasty is considered a safe procedure, there are some possible risks, complications and side effects. These side effects might include:
- Eardrum perforation: if the tympanic membrane is intact, there is a small chance of perforating it because of the surgery.
- Tinnitus: sometimes the patients start hearing noises after ossicular reconstruction.
- Facial Nerve paralysis: it is a rare side effect but it may happen if the surgeon accidentally damaged the facial nerve.
- Infection: using implants might cause infection after the surgery in some cases.
- Dizziness: some patients report feeling dizzy after the surgery, but dizziness usually goes away after a few days.
- Ipsilateral taste disturbance: since the chorda tympani runs through the tympanic membrane, damaging it might lead to a feeling of metallic taste. However, this usually goes away after a few days.
- Sensorineural hearing loss: During this surgery and any other middle ear surgery, there is a tiny risk of hearing loss caused by the manipulation of the ossicles.
- No improvement in hearing after the surgery: even with high success rate, ossiculoplasty can fail sometimes. In this case, the patient should wait for 6 months and have a revision ossiculoplasty.
The benefits of ossiculoplasty
Having ossicular chain reconstruction will result in helping you regain hearing you lost due to ossicles damage. This surgery has a high success rate of over 90%.
Frequently asked questions about ossiculoplasty
What is ossicular reconstruction?
Ossicular reconstruction or ossiculoplasty definition is a surgery that is used to fix damage to the ossicular chain in the middle ear.
How long does it take to recover from an ear operation?
The healing time for ossicular chain reconstruction is usually between 4 to 6 weeks, but patients are usually able to return to their jobs after one week.
Is ossiculoplasty safe?
Yes, ossicular chain reconstruction is considered a safe surgery with a high success rate and little and controllable side effects.